Tuesday, June 17, 2014

White Lover's Cookies (Shiroi Koibito)

Recently, my sister posted a photo of the souvenirs she'd received from a friend's recent Japan trip. It reminded me of my own trip to Tokyo, Japan with my husband last May after we got married in November the year before, which he had always regarded as our "mini" honeymoon. Well, I kind of agree with him since it was a place we haven't been to, but only so reluctantly because I didn't consider honeymoon a honeymoon anywhere within Asia. Haha~ But don't ask me where we went for our "actual" honeymoon because it wasn't really planned to date, although we went on a holiday to New York last fall. @_@

Thinking back about the Japan trip, I miss the snacks and the food there more than anything else. One of the goodies that I couldn't resist from buying was this 白い恋人, also known as "White Lover" in English translation, which is a very popular snack from Hokkaido (no, we didn't travel up to Hokkaido but this snack can be found easily at the airport and many departmental stores in Tokyo). Here's a picture of the packaging I took back then if some of you don't know what I'm referring to. It is also called the "Chocolat Blanc et Langue de Chat" as the name on the packaging suggests. It consists of chocolate sandwiched between two butter cookies.

Nowadays, with the advancement of international trade and shipping services, one may easily get it from a local store or purchase it online even if one don't get to travel. But ever since I got into baking, my natural chain of thoughts wasn't to look up an online store that sells and delivers the snack to where I am, but instead, the possibility of making them myself at home. ^_^ I hope everyone will enjoy these home-baked Shiroi Koibito as much as I do.

White Lover's Cookies (Shiroi Koibito)

White Lover's Cookies (Shiroi Koibito)
Recipe referenced and modified from: Ochikeron

Ingredients Required

100 grams butter*
60 grams granulated sugar
1 large egg
100 grams cake flour
1/4 teaspoon salt*
240 grams white chocolate

*If using salted butter, omit the salt

Bakeware Used

Large baking sheet lined with parchment paper (for baking the cookies) and
Large baking sheet lined with plastic cling wrap (for moulding the white chocolate)

Preparation Steps

Cookies
  1. Draw 1-1/2 inch squares on a piece of paper that fits the size of your baking sheet. Place template on the baking sheet, beneath the parchment paper and set aside.
  2. In a large microwavable bowl, soften cold butter in a microwave (on high speed for approximately 30 seconds or less) and cream it with a wire whisk. (Note: Skip the step of softening the butter in the microwave if using butter which is already softened thoroughly at room temperature).
  3. Add granulated sugar and mix well.
  4. Beat in egg and mix until evenly combined.
  5. Sift in flour and salt (if not using salted butter) and mix until well combined.
  6. Transfer batter to piping bag and pipe out batter on parchment paper within the squares according to the paper template.
  7. Remove paper template and bake the cookies in a preheated oven at 355 degrees F (or 180 degrees C) for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are slightly brown.
  8. Once baked, remove from oven and let cookies cool completely on the baking sheet. 
The original source recipe which comes with a video of the making process provides a good demonstration on piping the batter to form these squares. And importantly, remember to remove the paper template underneath before sending them into the oven! ^_^

White chocolate filling
  1. Melt chocolate over a double boiler.
  2. Pour the melted chocolate into the baking sheet lined with plastic cling wrap and spread to an even layer.
  3. Place the baking sheet in the freezer to harden up the chocolate slightly.
  4. Cut the chocolate into squares according to the size of the cookies. (Note: Make sure the chocolate is not completely hardened, otherwise they will crack when you cut).
Assembling the cookies
  1. While the white chocolate is still soft, place a square of chocolate between two completely cooled cookies. Gently press the two cookies together.
  2. Place the cookies in the fridge to harden up the chocolate completely before serving.

The Dream Baker's Experiment
  1. As mentioned in the original source recipe, salted butter may be used for this recipe. I used unsalted butter and recommended adding 1/4 teaspoon of salt in my above recipe instead. I preferred unsalted butter to have control over the salt content. And I find that adding the salt helps to cut the sweetness from the white chocolate filling although the original source recipe did not suggest so.
  2. The original source recipe mentioned to melt the butter in a microwave which I find a little misleading. After watching the video of the making process, I noticed that the step for putting the butter in the microwave is to soften up the butter and not melt it to liquid form. I used cold butter directly from the fridge and microwave it at high for 30 seconds (as suggested in my recipe above) before creaming it with a wire whisk. To skip the microwave, simply soften the butter thoroughly at room temperature and the butter can be creamed with the wire whisk very easily. To check if the butter has been thoroughly softened, try poking through the middle of the butter with a toothpick.
  3. I used a large egg which weighed approximately 58 grams (with shell on).
  4. The original source recipe suggest that all-purpose flour may be used instead of cake flour. I used cake flour in my above recipe.
  5. I placed the baking sheet on the rack below the middle rack of the oven and baked the cookies for 8 full minutes (varies across different ovens).
  6. I made 68 squares of cookies from the batter.
  7. The original source recipe suggest using a 6-inch square pan for moulding the melted white chocolate, which I didn't have one. And I find that a flat baking sheet works just fine. I measured the chocolate squares with the size of the baked cookies before cutting up the chocolate. 
  8. I had more cookies squares than white chocolate because of the thickness of my white chocolate. Extra white chocolate may be required. Alternatively, try a milk or dark chocolate variation.


Don't judge these homemade Shiroi Koibito cookies by its appearance. They might not look as "pretty" as the store-bought ones, but they definitely taste very much similar. And nothing beats the freshness from baking them yourself! These are so perfect to go with my afternoon tea… ^_^

I am sharing this post with the event, Little Thumbs Up (June 2014: Butter) organised by Bake For Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY hosted by Jozelyn of Spice Up My Kitchen.


I am also sharing this post with the event, Made with Love Mondays, Always fresh, Always from scratch organised by Javelin Warrior of Cookin' w/ Luv .


Finally, I would also like to share this post with The Biscuit Barrel Challenge (June 2014: Summer) organised by Laura of I'd Much Rather Bake Than… because these cookies are such perfect companion for my summer afternoon-tea.


Dare to dream.
The Dream Baker

12 comments:

  1. I don't eat white chocolate very frequently, but I love the sound of these cookies. And they're so adorable. I wonder if one could also make these with a milk or dark chocolate successfully...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javelin, the original of these retailed cookies comes in milk chocolate flavour too. I've made them in milk and dark chocolate variations but unfortunately they were all gobbled up before I could take a picture of them since I made very few pieces with the remaining of my cookies. The combination of the cookies and the chocolate variations are definitely not disappointing. :) Thanks again for visiting and hope you will try and like it. :)

      Delete
  2. I remember eating similar cookies where my brother brought back from Hokkaido...it's delicious!
    Thanks for sharing this with LTU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn, I agree with you that they are so delicious! Once again my pleasure for sharing with LTU. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  3. Awww, these are so cute! They remind me of mini sandwiches but ones which are made out of biscuits and chocolate are much nicer than the ones I might eat for my lunch =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura, they are indeed. :) Thanks for visiting again.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to Japan in Oct and hope to try these Japanese cookies.

    Good that you don't have to travel to Japan to enjoy these yummy cookies. I should bake these cookies too to get my Japan loving mood starting :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, that's lovely! I bet you can't wait for your trip to come..may you have a good and safe trip. :)
      Thanks again for visiting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Dream Baker
    Thanks for sharing. I'd love to try your recipe.
    Do you think we can just brush a thin layer of liquid white chocolate on the cookies directly?
    Mei Yu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mei Yu, thank you very much!
      I have not tried brushing a thin layer of liquid white chocolate on the cookies directly. But in my opinion, the "liquid" white chocolate should not be too runny if not it would not stay in place between the cookies and can create quite a mess. I would suggest you try a consistency texture similar to Nutella, if you know what I mean. Hope this helps. :) Have fun!

      Delete
  6. Hi again,
    Don't we need to put in any raising powder at all? Do the cookies rise in the oven?
    Mei Yu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mei Yu, my recipe version does not require adding any other ingredients except for those listed. You would not expect the cookies to rise much here. Hope this clarifies. :)

      Delete